Bike Hooks
Originally posted to RohJuh.com on Jul 1, 2005.
We currently have three bikes and although there is space for them in the garage, we don’t have a good way to store them and so they end up taking up a lot of space. Since our garage is pretty small to start with, this make it difficult to park a car in the garage.
I looked around for bike storage products, and found some various racks that looked like they might do the trick, but they were kind of expensive and I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. I ended up buying a set of wall mount hooks which were on sale for around $13 or so. After installing one, however, I decided that I didn’t like it. It was a pain in the ass to hang the bike up, especially with the fat downhill tires on my trail bike.
So I returned them and decided to try out some traditional bike hooks – cheap and simple. These cost less than $3 a pair, are pretty easy to install, and actually work really well. Now, my two bikes are hanging from the ceiling and out of the way. Judy’s bike just leans against the wall which is fine because with my bikes out of the way, we now have room for that. I did think about getting a set of hooks for her bike, but it’s pretty hard for her to hoist her bike up that high. If she ever goes riding without me (which she very well may do during her upcoming hiatus), it will be much easier for her if her bike stayed on the ground.
By putting the bikes in the air, I’m now able to put the Thule roof box under the bikes. That clears up a lot of space, and now we can actually comfortably park one of our cars in the garage.
Here are some pics.

Comments
Post a Comment